10/24/2009

Review of The Collected Short Fiction of Bruce Jay Friedman (Paperback)

Long ago and far away (when I wore a younger man's thong) I partook of fine quality entertainment of the likes of Terry Southern's stuff & Sid Perelman's feuilletons & the Evelyn Waughwerks. And then I discovered my spiritual doppelganger. Bruce. He touched me---and suddenly---nothing was the same.

Look. I'm not gonna mince words. This is the single greatest short-story collection in the history of the universe. Although then again, I'm not gonna overpraise Bruce's later stories and say that they're as fab as the early stories. But let me thrustfully insist on the weird idiosyncratic brilliance of those early stories. This book is arguably better than beer, possibly better than sex, and definitely better than sex with Bruce Jay Friedman.

Unfortunately, one of those early stories is missing from this collection. Presumably due to sheer carelessness, a story called THE BIG SIX was omitted. My fave story is WHEN YOU'RE EXCUSED. Or possibly THE SUBVERSIVE. About the narrator's wholesome midwestern friend who turns out to be a full-tilt wackaloon. My other favorite is 23 PAT O'BRIEN MOVIES. A satire of suicide-prevention cliches which could've been easily transposed into a 2-character stage-skit. (And what a missed opportunity for Brando & Olivier.)



Click Here to see more reviews about: The Collected Short Fiction of Bruce Jay Friedman (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment