10/30/2009

Review of Finn (Paperback)

If it hadn't been for lunch, I would've finished FINN without a break this past Sunday. As it was, it took me just that single day to ride through this fast-paced, scenic series of unforgettable adventures. The waterfall scene, for example, was a peaceful and calming interlude smack in the midst of an underworld of grime and crime, and was, quite literally, a cool episode. Another superb scene was the one near the end with King D. What an odd but memorable environment that surreal character created for himself. And when James was steering Finn and Silvia around the debris of his life, I felt such a sense of immediacy that I wouldn't have been surprised to look up and see him right there in my living room, doing his street dancing between the chalk marks.Chloe Wilder, a fast-thinking and resourceful girl toughened up by a week of unanticipated exploits, still reminded me of many of my female friends. Though vulnerable, she desperately tried to hide her vulnerability. And, with that mask on, she brushed up against a rough world seemingly not far from her own fairly comfortable existence, but in fact a world away. FINN will appeal to teen readers -- male and female -- wherever jagged cities give way to seemingly smooth suburbs.



Click Here to see more reviews about: Finn (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment