10/30/2009

Review of The Last Good Season: Brooklyn, the Dodgers, and Their Final Pennant Race Together (Hardcover)

Even though I was only five years old when the Dodgers left Brooklyn, I always had a fond spot in my heart for the team. I collected Brookyn Dodger yearbooks over the years.This book, by Michael Shapiro, brought out many interesting facts which I did not know, such as it was only at the end of the season did the Dodgers actually sell out any games.Even though Ebbets Field only held 32,000 I assumed there were several sell outs during the season.Yes,the Dodgers were profitable but O'Malley was a business man and saw (like the Braves) he could makesignificantly more money.Knowing that area of Brooklyn, that if the stadium was built in 1957 and the teams which would have included Koufax and Drysdale they would have succeeded greatly.Also, the book points out the relationship between Robinson, Campenella and Newcombe. I was not aware of the relationship between the three. I could not believe Newcombe left Ebbets Field, after getting knocked out of the 7th game of the World Series.Yanks start Johnny Knucks against the leagues MVP and Cy Young winner and Newcombe gets knocked out and leaves the Field.I found it incredible that the day after the World Series the team leaves for Japan.I wonder how todays players would react. I wonder why Rachel Robinson declined to be interviewed by the author, I believe she could have added greatly to experiences at Ebbets Field and Brooklyn in the 1950's.I enjoyed the part when Sal Maglie first came to the Dodgers and his reception in the clubhouse.The best part was describing Brookyn in the 1940's and how it was transforming in the 1950's.I read the Boys of Summer many years ago, but this book by Michael Shapiro is clearly superior.I would recommend this book to any baseball fan from that era, especially Brooklyn Dodger fans.Both O'Malley and especially Robert Moses are the real villians here.



Click Here to see more reviews about: The Last Good Season: Brooklyn, the Dodgers, and Their Final Pennant Race Together (Hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment