12/19/2009

Review of The Easy Hour: A Novel of Leisure (Paperback)

I became acquainted with Leslie Stella's work when she submitted one of the best short stories my magazine had received all year (look for it in the Fall 2003 issue of THE ADIRONDACK REVIEW, as well as an interview with the author). Since the story was serious and literary in nature, I was unsure how I would react to THE EASY HOUR. It sounded fun, but would it be worthwhile? I wasn't sure. Let me tell you that it was difficult to put down. EASY's protagonist, Lisa Galisa, had me unsure if I was going to like her or be annoyed by her in the beginning -- but as she grew as a person, she grew on me.

I thought the characters were very well developed, and I could easily see this book becoming a movie. It has all the right elements: great plot twists, lovable eccentric sidekicks (and not overdone!), a fast pace, and tons of charm and wit. It had humorous moments -- perhaps not of the knee-slapping variety, but the kind that makes you smile a lot, and wish the book would last just a few more days.

This book has a lot of insight, much more than the blurbs might have you believe. It's not just a fun novel. You'll see more underneath, subtly spelled out in Stella's refreshingly non-preachy manner. Frankly, although I already very much believed in Ms. Stella's capacity as a writer, I just wasn't sure if I would be able to relate to the setting and characters since they were so far removed from my own life and I usually find these kinds of characters annoying, petty, and predictable. In the end, it's what made this whole book so enjoyable -- getting into someone else's world and being able to indentify with someone you thought you would neither be able to nor particularly want to. Lisa Galisa is a sympathetic character and you find yourself rooting for her most of the time, yet she is still human, which makes her both more and less attractive as a person. Her sister, a McDonald's worker-turned-pet-psychic, is particularly gentle and quirky. Her stereotypically gay friend, Tim, is portrayed well as her "best friend," but the nature of their relationship is brought under the light at one point and forces Lisa to wonder how close she really is to him, and why they are friends in the first place.

I very much enjoy Leslie Stella's style of writing: she is witty, highly observant, as all good writers are, and compassionate while retaining subtlety throughout. I warmly recommend this book and look forward to reading Ms. Stella's next novel.



Click Here to see more reviews about: The Easy Hour: A Novel of Leisure (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment