12/14/2009

Review of Aquagenesis: The Origin and Evolution of Life in the Sea (Paperback)

I bought this book after reading the author's previous "Search for the Giant Squid". Giant Squid was very good. This book however,is a double edge sword, it has great illustrations and the topics look interesting, BUT many facts are wrong!

Examples: page 2, states that the Dinosaurs "disappeared hundreds of millions of years ago" (65 million years would have been correct.) Page 117 identifies the Mississippian Age Bear Gulch Formation as Devonian Age. Page 51 and 52 and 53 list Horseshoe crabs as dating from 200 million years ago but there are well known horseshoe crabs as old as 370 million years old!
Page 53 also lists Aglaspids as being horseshoe crabs when they are not considered to be.

I teach, and the accuracy of material is important. I don't want to present ideas to my students if they aren't right. The book is interesting, but the errors I see at a quick skim make me pause.



Click Here to see more reviews about: Aquagenesis: The Origin and Evolution of Life in the Sea (Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment